Torment (2014)

Torment (2014)

Starring: Katherine Isabella, Robin Dunne, Peter DaCunha, Stephen McHattie, Noah Danby, Inessa Frantowski, Joe Silvaggio

Plot: Newlyweds Cory and Sarah Morgan take Cory's 7-year old son Liam up to the country for some much needed family time. When it appears as if Liam has run away, psychological suspense becomes straight-out horror, as Sarah and Cory must now confront a sadistic family.

My Review and Thoughts:

This is a nicely done home invasion psychological torment type of horror film. It deals with the brutality of a sadistic family invading the wholesome life of another family. I've always been a fan of these type of movies. Home invasion is a scary thought. It's a scary idea because they invade your peaceful area. They invade the spot that supposed to be safe, your home is supposed to be your protection, your shield. Your home is supposed to keep your family safe and calm. What happens when a group of individuals decide to break in? Not just to kill you, but to torment you. Not just too quickly savagely brutalize you, but to play with you. To sadistically entertain themselves.

This is a film that I actually enjoyed. I am a huge fan as I have said of home invasion horror films and this one plays out like that. Masked killers, maniacs, sadistic individuals wanting to get their kicks off by haunting and torturing others.

This is directed by Actor | Producer | Director Jordan Barker. I actually think Barker has got a visionary talent in capturing the story on screen as it unfolds for the viewer. I became a fan of Barker after seeing his movie The Marsh. I think The Marsh is a very underrated horror film.

I think Torment had a great quick story. A great premise and a great psychological horror reality that dug deep into the heart of the tension of fear and I think that's what Torment does. I think that Barker has a way with his movies that end up shinning in a fear induced reality.

This Canadian horror thriller to me in my opinion, leaves a lasting impression.

I think the best way to describe this film is very quick, very sound, very dark, very mysterious, and sadistic which all weaves around a very short film.

It being short is also its plus, because it all unfolds rather fast and very vivid.

I like how it plays out. The old school slasher style of mystery. Not really knowing the whole story is its plus. The problem with movies this day and age they give too much back story and not enough mystery. I don’t want to know everything. The mystery is what creates the unnerving horror. The no explanation is what creates the ultimate brilliance.

The film has its flaws but I am just happy to see a film that's not a crappy found footage film. This is a film that plays out like a horror film. I love the bad guys and the overall stain of mystery behind those bad guys. I hope there are sequels and further exploration of this family. Not since The Strangers (2008) and Bereavement (2010) have I been more excited in a horror film and its growth of its bogeymen/bogey persons.

A great throwback of home invasion and twisted killers and a tormented couple old school 70's and 80's style. Helpless couple being played with. Nice direction, nice torment. The only flaw I had is the overall part of the husband in the end and the ultimate chase in the woods with Sarah and Liam it seemed to end to quick or was horribly edited wrong.

Katharine Isabelle plays the character of Sarah. Sarah is the new wife and mother, to widow Cory and his son Liam. The couple and Liam, come to there vacation home in the woods to try and create a bond. Young Liam is not taking to his new step mom. What the family does not realize is another family is already waiting for them. 

Isabelle owned the female in distress reality. I have always been a huge fan of hers ever since Ginger Snaps one of the greatest modern horror films. I also love her reoccurring role of Margot Verger in the awesome amazing TV show Hannibal. She is a very gifted actress and is amazingly wonderful in her many roles. Robin Dunne plays Cory the husband and father and creates a believable scenario of a struggling father that is trying to protect his family. The short character part of the sheriff, is played wonderful by Stephen McHattie who is always a treat to see. Always a gifted actor and is one of my favorite performers, no matter how small a part is. 

Peter DaCunha who plays Liam does a fantastic job of a horrified little kid that doesn't understand what is taking place. He is a sweet, cute little actor with great future potential if he makes this is life dream. In reality he is already a little acting veteran with 26 acting credits to his name as of this writing. I hope he grows in his craft and ends up becoming one of the acting greats.

This is written by a two person operation. Michael Foster who is a new comer to the script writing world and also writer Thomas Pound. Pound is currently working on the wonderful TV series Motive. Both of these writers created an interesting throwback story and gave life to, memorable bogey-characters. Also what makes this film stand out is the music score by Trevor Yuile. The sound department rocked, great sounds and great music, perfect fit. The over all darkness and dread to the film just creates a life of it's own. I loved the cinematography by Boris Mojsovski, fantastic job. Like I say, it's only flaws, have to do with the editing which I feel was way off and kind of destroyed it in spots. Over looking the editing I loved the film, it gave me everything I wanted and everything I enjoy in a home invasion horror film or a film about sadistic people.

Little Rabbit is the ultimate character. The ending was priceless, a perfect conclusion. Mr. Mouse and Little Rabbit are my new favorite bogey-monsters.