Twilight Time Blu-ray: I Could Go On Singing (1963)

I Could Go on Singing (1963)

Company: Twilight Time

Starring: Judy Garland, Jack Klugman, Aline MacMahon, Gregory Phillips, Dirk Bogarde, Russell Waters

My Review and Thoughts:

My Rating: 4.5 out of 5

I was super excited when I heard this was finally coming to Blu-ray. Twilight Time has done it again in picking a film that is a classic and one of those films that linger with you long after it’s over. It’s a film you return to. Twilight Time Blu-ray of, I Could Go On Singing to me is a prime example of perfection in high definition transfer and audio,

First I want to say Judy Garland is one of the greatest iconic singers and actress’ to ever grace the cinema world and music world. Her passion, beauty and artful soul is what iconic means. She was a true goddess in so many ways. I listen to her music all the time. The Wizard of Oz is one of my favorite top 10 films of all time. She has been a stable throughout my whole life. I remember seeing The Wizard of Oz for the first time when I was a child, it sparked my love interest in cinema and has remained with me my whole life.

Your plot is about a female singer named Jenny Bowman. Jenny had a relationship with a man named David Donne. She became pregnant. After the birth of the baby she allowed him to be raised by David. She basically decided not to be a part of the child’s life because of her career. It’s now many years later and she wants to meet the child and become a part of his life. Meanwhile the child is in a tug a war reality with his father and mother.  

This is a movie that stands the test of time and is as good in 1963 as much as it is today. The characters are flawless. This is what I call one of the great musical drama’s to ever come out. It’s a film I have seen countless times and it never fails in the beauty and amazement that it is. One cannot help but fall in love with Judy and the story. It’s a film a movie buff would return to over and over again. This also marks the last movie Judy starred in.

This also stars one of my favorite actors of all time. The very suave and sexy Dirk Bogarde. Bogarde has acted in some of my favorite films, or at least films that stand the test of time. From the amazing one of a kind 1974’s haunting and disturbing The Night Porter, to the amazing 1971’s Death in Venice. And to me one of the most important films of all time, 1961’s Victim, which is a tour-de-force of story and performance.

Directed by one of the greats, not only a director, but a cinematographer, producer, screenwriter, I speak of the one of kind Ronald Neame.  An icon in British filmmaking that not only directed but had his hands in many of the realities of making movies. From production, to camera work, to writing, to cinematography and directing. He knew his many expertise. I always felt he never got the push or accolades that he deserved. Twilight Time finally gives honor to one of his important films and also has done so in the past with Twilight Time’s Special Edition of 1969’s The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie. Which might I add stars one of the greatest female actress’ of all time Maggie Smith, which she won an Oscar for. Neame also directed one of my favorite action disaster films the one and only 1972’s The Poseidon Adventure. He also directed one of my favorite thrillers 1974’s The Odessa File. He was a true director that could capture interesting and flawless characters. I Could Go on Singing is one of those prime examples of mastery in direction, and music.

Audio/Video:

My Rating: 5 out of 5

I have seen this movie many times on VHS, DVD and TV and it does not compare to this high quality, amazing in picture and sound Blu-ray. Twilight Time always knows how to make an impact in creating wonderful new outlets for important pieces of cinema. The audio is crisp and perfected. The imagery is vibrant and clean. Can’t speak enough about this wonderful example of how to treat a film. They aced it again.

LANGUAGE: English
VIDEO: 1080p High Definition / 2.35:1
AUDIO: English 1.0 DTS-HD MA
SUBTITLES: English SDH
1963 / Color

Extras:

My Rating: 3.5 out of 5

Isolated Score Track (with some effects). For this picture the music is done lovingly by orchestrator, composer, pianist, conductor, Mort Lindsey. Lindsey was one of those music guru’s in the musician world. He was musical director for some of the great singers of all time, one being Judy Garland. Next is the amazing mastery and perfection that is Barbara Streisand and many others. His talent was grand. And this special feature honors that mastery that he was.

Audio Commentary with Producer Lawrence Turman, and Film Historians Lem Dobbs and Nick Redman Audio Commentary with Film Historians David Del Valle and Steven Peros. Both of these stand out. It’s always grand to hear historians and persons involved with cinema to allow you to become knowledgeable in the film your viewing. I always enjoy hearing passionate people talk about film and both of these commentaries is that reality.

TV Spot
Original Theatrical Trailers

Overall:

I Could Go on Singing is an important film. It’s a wonderful example of musical drama that is thick on story and character creation. Twilight Time has lovingly created a flawless Blu-ray starring one of the greatest icons of all time. Twilight Time knows how to honor those involved with important film. Highly Recommended.

INFO:

Make sure you head over to www.screenarchives.com to buy all the wonderful Twilight Time Blu-rays. The main page that gives you these beautiful releases on top quality Special Editions.

Also head over and like Twilight Time on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/twilighttimemovies