Devils Knot (2014)

Devils Knot (2014)

Starring: Reese Witherspoon, Mireille Enos, Colin Firth, Dane DeHaan, Kevin Durand, Bruce Greenwood, Stephen Moyer, Elias Koteas, Amy Ryan, Alessandro Nivola

Plot: The savage murders of three young children sparks a controversial trial of three teenagers accused of killing the kids as part of a satanic ritual.

My Review and Thoughts:

This is a case that has always touched an-accord with me. I remember watching the American Undercover special on HBO when it premiered in 1996. That night my mother and me watched it and we instantly knew something was wrong. A rush to judgment and the ridicule and witch hunt type trial. Ever since seeing Paradise Lost it has remained with me. 





Shortly after watching the American Undercover event I knew I had to express something about this situation. When the movement started and when T-shirts became available Free the West Memphis Three, I wore it proudly and I still own it. I did a campaign at my local college West Shore Community College. I passed out flyer's and spread the word and information. I wore a badge around my neck that said Free the West Memphis Three. I wore black to protest. I put a banner on my vehicle window about freeing the West Memphis Three and the address to the Internet site to spread the word. I wrote and sent letters and postcards and raised awareness of it. Paradise Lost two and three were brilliant and when I learned that these three innocent individuals were finally let go. I was amazed yet still heartbroken because they still were not deemed innocent and had spent 18 years and 78 days in a cage because of no evidence and lies. 

The West Memphis Arkansas Justice System is stupid and are ignorant fools, that don't want to dirty themselves in realizing what they did. It was wrong and rushed to judgment and a witch-hunt and three innocent people spent time in jail for something they didn't do. No, they didn't want to admit they were wrong and it's their conscience, their soul that has to live with that and I hope on their Judgment Day they are punished for what they did.

Going into this movie I was a little weary because there have been some bad reviews and I can understand why, just because it's all been done before in three wonderful documentaries The Paradise Lost trilogy which are must-see, must own, brilliant historical criminal documentaries that showcase how the justice system is wrong, specifically West Memphis, Arkansas's justice system. 

Even though this movie is brilliantly acted and brilliantly directed and is a thought-provoking story which is based on a brilliant book by the same name, we already know all of what has happened. This is basically done in a dramatize movie of those events. The question is why watch a drama? When you can watch the real events. Well I say it's because this fact-based story expresses some of the stuff the documentaries do not express. Such as the behind-the-scenes. The interrogations. The young boy Aaron Hutcheson who came forward with his mother, saying he was there and was a part of it and that he got away. 

It's worth the watch for those familiar with the case. I would recommend the Paradise Lost trilogy first before watching this film. For followers of the Paradise Lost reality I still think it's a thought-provoking movie to further the case of what happened.

I do feel Reese Witherspoon is a wonderful actress in certain films. She would not have been my first choice for the role in this as Pam Hobbs but with that said she still did a wonderful job.

Another shining performance is by Colin Firth. He plays a touching role of private investigator Ron Lax. This was a man, knowing what he saw, which is a miscarriage of justice, no matter if they did it or not. These boys or who ever was going to be arrested was not going to get a fair trail and that is why Ron Lax stepped forward pro-bono.

The standout rolls is by the three young male actors that played the West Memphis Three. Seth Meriwether did a fantastic job as Jason Baldwin. He is a wonderful new comer to Hollywood and I see a bright wonderful future for him if he chooses to move forward in acting. Kristopher Higgins did a phenomenal and spectacular job as Jessie MissKelley Junior. He made you believe his part. James Hamrick another new actor on the block did Damian Echols Justice. He captured the role flawless and gave emotions and a true mysterious nature. 

Kevin Durand is absolutely stand out amazing in the part of John Mark Byers. 

This is a case that is mysterious, haunting, tragic, unpredictable and most of all unsolved. The movie does a good job in creating how twisted and dark and mysterious the real subject is. It seemed to dig deep into it and leaves you viewer guessing and wondering the truth. I love how Atom Egoyan directed this film not holding really anything back such as the disturbing nature of the bodies. Even though it was fake it was so well done you could not tell. That's how amazing the makeup and effects are in this film. 

The Movie is not bad, I still recommend it. I still think it's a worthy watch to be watched for anyone interested in the case. This is for anyone that already knows about the case. Those that need more information that aren't caught up with all the reality of it should start with the Paradise Lost documentaries first, then move in on this film.

With all the negative said through reviews after a watch I think the movie does do the subject matter justice. I do feel that the director tried to capture all the brutal nature of the crimes and of the feelings of the town and also of the asinine witch hunt and rush to judgment by local Billy Bob Barney Fife type police work.

Another subject that I like is the movie expresses other possible persons that did this. Such as the Bojangles man, which I think is one of the most promising leads. This mysterious African-American might have done it. If he did not do it, he saw it happen and might have tried to stop it or to help the young boys. People might say well if he was helping, why did he not come forward, are you kidding me, a black man covered in blood in West Memphis Arkansas in 1993. Whoever he is, I think he holds the key to solving this case. If the police would've done there job, would've tested the DNA, would've followed through with subjects, this case would probably be solved. 

Also the movie focuses on the interesting story surrounding suspect Christopher Morgan. This suspect in the film is explored. This is another plus to the film showcasing this reality which tends to not show up in a lot of spots dealing with this case. There is a great mystery surrounding this subject.

Also the true plus is the movie explores the possibility of the stepfather Terry Hobbs. A mystery surrounds this subject and also many unanswered questions.

I think the negative reviews this film is getting is unfair. Just because there are already documentaries on the subject does not mean a movie is bad. I feel this film stands out and does more exploration of the subject and gives it a detailed approach to the struggle and the hidden moments of the faulty investigation.

There is a great darkness and a great stain on these three innocent teenage boys that lost their teenage years, half of their adult young years, but there is also a tragedy of three innocent little children that were brutally murdered, slain, ravaged, savaged and threw away like garbage. These three have no justice and it's because of the rush to judgment and the witch hunt that caused ultimate justice not to happen. For this is a cold case now that probably will never be solved and if it does it's those three boys that are dead crying out for it.